Mapping Out My Creative Life

The beautiful layer of snow we were graced with yesterday melted off today. I did take a long walk during late afternoon yesterday to enjoy the snow covering the trees and the trail, so I didn't miss out on seeing its beauty. I had the trail to myself. Not another soul was out the entire time I walked. Today, Ado and I took another long walk earlier this afternoon, after the snow was gone, to enjoy the heat of the sun. This time, we weren't alone. Lots of others decided to take advantage of the lovely afternoon warmth.

After my walk yesterday, I sat here and bought my ticket to see Hamilton! And I have my train tickets to get to Chicago then home. Now all I need is a hotel for the night. I simply cannot wait to go. Last year at this time, I couldn't find a ticket for less than $300, and that was for a seat in the very back of the balcony, the view blocked. I do have a balcony ticket, but the view should be fine, and while I had budgeted $200 for my ticket, I was able to find one for nearly half that. Score! To go along with the musical, I've decided to spend the following day in the city. I have the Art Institute on the list, along with the American Writers Museum, which is a newer museum. I am so excited about this upcoming trip.

My writing has diminished quite a bit since returning to work. I'm still journaling every day, just jotting down ideas, and I've been revising the work that I did complete during sabbatical. New pieces, though, aren't happening. Dealing with student work, writing center work, writing across the college work -- these all take up so much space in my brain. I feel like I don't have any space left for creative work. I find I get annoyed if I sit and think about not being able to put the time into just writing like I was able to during the fall. That five months of nothing to think about and do but creative work showed me another way of living/working that I want all the time. I have to find a way to carve out time to focus and make it happen.

Right now, writing this blog post is my way of not reading/responding to the student papers I have waiting for me. I'm almost done with one section, and I have a second section I need to get finished up. When both sections are completed. I'll have about a week before the next wave of papers come in. That week is set aside for new work. I do have an idea that's been poking at me, and I think it's the idea I'll try to get going properly. It involves the maps I used while cycling the TransAm, the NorTier, and the Pac coast, but that's all I'm going to say for now. I've still got some figuring out to do, but just thinking about this idea is getting me fired up. Now I'm ready to get back to the student papers, so I can get them done and concentrate on my own creative work.

I love looking at the maps and remembering the days riding the black/red roads. This was the day we cycled to the Olema campground, and that night the raccoons wreaked havoc on anything left out for their grimy, little paws.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marigolds

Night Sky

Profoundly Sad Today and I Don't Know Why